University travel regulations (available at https://businessservices.umbc.edu/travel/) govern travel performed with sponsored funds. In some instances, a particular contract or grant may specify travel limitations different from the University policy and these take precedence. When domestic or international travel is charged to a sponsored project, it is only allowable in accordance with that sponsor’s terms and conditions. Note that many Federal agencies have restrictive regulations concerning international travel. Even though the awarded proposal may have included a line item for international travel, agency prior approval may still be required.
NOTE: Under the U.S. Fly America Act, Federally funded travel must use a United States flag carrier even if it is more expensive. Contact your OSP Contract Administrator if there is no U.S. flag carrier service or if other special circumstances exist.
Reimbursement of travel expenses on sponsored projects will be in accordance with University of Maryland Baltimore County travel reimbursement rates. Examples of unallowable travel costs include, but are not limited to:
- Laundry (unless business trip >14 days)
- Mini bar
- Movie rental
OCGA reviews all travel approval requests on sponsored awards to ensure that all travel-related rules, regulations, policies and procedures are followed, including those of the University and the sponsor. The OCGA process focuses on the following:
- Examining the relevance of the trip to the project
- Confirming that the traveler is either paid by the project or otherwise documented as being directly involved in the project
- Verifying that the travel will occur during the time period of the project
- Making certain that funds are budgeted in the project for the travel and that the available balance is sufficient to pay for the expenses associated with the trip
- Confirming that there are no funding agency restrictions or additional approvals needed for the travel.